Contact Information:

3200 West 300 North
West Point, UT 84015

Staff Directory

Frequently Asked Questions


What if I have a complaint about an animal?
If you have a complaint concerning an animal disturbance, please direct all questions to Davis County Animal Control.  They can be reached at: (801) 444-2200.  Animal Control will use our City Code in the enforcement.

Do I need a kennel license?

A resident can have 2 dogs without obtaining a kennel license.  With a kennel license, a resident can have up to 5 dogs. A kennel license must be approved by the Planning Commission, and the resident must have property that is zoned as agriculture.  Applications for a kennel license can be found at City Hall.  

Burn Permits

How do I obtain a burn permit?
All questions regarding building any sort of fire or acquiring a burn permit should be directed to the North Davis Fire District.  They can be reached at: (801) 525-2851.

Business Hours

What are West Point City's hours of operation?
City Hall is open Monday through Thursday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, and Friday 7:30 am to 11:30 am, excluding all major holidays.  If you would like to meet with a certain member of our staff, it is a good idea to call ahead to ensure that he or she is available. We can be reached at (801) 776-0970.

Business Licenses

What is the difference between a minor home occupation and a major home business?
The majority of home-based businesses are considered minor home occupations.  Day care centers and preschools, along with other businesses that do not fit in the general frame of a home business, are considered major home occupations and require a Conditional Use Permit from the Planning Commission.  Applications for both minor and major business licenses can be found at the City Hall, or on our website.


How do I register to vote?
You can register to vote online at, or you can print out the registration form and mail it in to the county clerk's office.

Davis County Clerk
28 East State St.
PO Box 618
Farmington, UT 84025
(801) 451-3589

Paying Bills Online

How do I pay my bill online?
The City is set-up to receive payments online through Xpress Bill Pay.  You can sign up for this service from the link on our main page.  You can make a one-time payment, or get set up to have your payments made automatically each month.


What if I have a complaint about an ordinance or city practice?
If you have a complaint, please come into the City Hall and fill out an Ordinance Complaint Form.  City policy requires that each complaint be written to allow for better processing and tracking.  File a complaint


How do I contact the police?
For all emergencies, please dial 911. Otherwise, the City contracts with the Davis County Police Department for all of our law enforcement needs.  The Sheriff does have an office at City Hall, with no set hours.  They can be reached at: 801-451-4150. 

Secondary Water

Where can I find answers to my questions about secondary water?
The Davis and Weber Counties Canal Company is in charge of your secondary water.  They charge a connection fee to the City, which is passed on to you as a prorated fee throughout the entire year. If you have any issues concerning your secondary water, i.e. water pressure, broken valves, etc., please contact them directly at 801-774-6373 or via email at You may also visit their website at


How do I determine the zoning of a parcel of land?

To determine the zoning of a residence, please visit our website.  Zoning information can be found under the “Services” tab.  If you need further information, please contact City Hall.

West Point City - 3200 West 300 North - West Point, UT 84015 - 801-776-0970